Monday, March 15, 2010

Well I'm Not Paralyzed But I Seem To Be Struck By...Step 2




Stepping stone number two is that which guides me into a place to live.
Here's the thing... for quite a bit now my parents have been encouraging (pressuring, convincing) me into the idea of purchasing a house here in Pittsburgh. They think it will be a wise move if I don't plan on leaving for at least 5 years.
So I went to discuss this with a realtor who was a very nice lady. She gave me the number of someone who can get me pre-approved for a mortgage. That wound up pretty fruitless. Although I have plenty of collateral/assets to my name, thanks to various unfortunate circumstances, unless I have proof of income for the next three years, I cannot get pre-approved.

Frick.

So I spent the earlier part of this semester focused on this house-buying business, only to find out it's not possible to without a job, which, as seen in the previous post, is a pain in the pa-toot to acquire.
So now my next move is to start looking for apartments.
I've found the most useful resource in the past to be craigslist. Unfortunately, due to the academic calendar, the apartment market seems to have dried up a bit. Already today I've read 3 e-mails stating that apartments I had hoped to look out were already leased out.
I really want to stay in a central area, not in the middle of nowhere, and hopefully in a safe neighborhood. To be super-ambitious, I want off-street parking, pet-friendly, dishwasher, laundry, two bedrooms and a roof please.

Thinking about everything that has to be done has been unbelievably overwhelming. Sometimes the thought of it makes me feel paralyzed and want to hide under the covers until it's all over. Even though I know I have my parents and family to help back me up, it is still really easy to feel alone.
When I'm almost done with being paralyzed, I either have a meltdown or *do* something.
Both outlets have their own benefits, but doing something proactive like e-mailing a potential new landlord, or revamping my resume gives a sense of satisfaction to go along with a feeling of relief.
My parents have already set a date for movers to come which is April 16th I believe. So today's paralysis relief was going to the liquor store for wine and boxes to start packing up my plethora of crap.
Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. that really stinks about proving income for the next three years. i understand where the bank is coming from but honestly, i don't think anyone can really do that, not in this economy. good luck with moving. i know you'll get the perfect spot! hugs!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in! If you have any wisdom on how to (or not to) grow-up, leave it here!